Saturday 13 July 2013

Once bitten, twice shy... not I!

Despite my best intentions, I have actually managed to set a new record for the longest WIP project on my knitting needles after 2011's disaster of my first pair of knitted socks. That first attempt had taken 6 months and I had sworn never to bother with socks again.


But it's true that home-made socks are so warm and comfy in winter, and I thought that I was bound to improve my timing with the second lot...ha,ha,ha...erm...
Started in October 11, I had managed about half a sock by the time I got pregnant with Baby Suisse. As the first trimester of my pregnancy was spent wanting to sleep, and the subsequent two were spent pretty much the same way, I got very lazy craft-wise and half forgot about them. I then had dreams of a super productive maternity leave during which I could sew/knit/cross-stitch/bake/have a life and those dreams were fairly quickly shattered. Four months is not a long time and I was then off to work. To cut a long (and boring) story short, I got annoyed with myself for letting this happen again in February 13 and I picked up the project and finally finished it in July. Yep, a whole 20 months later...


At least, I had learned from my mistakes this time and grafted the toe properly! Looking at Baby Suisse's socks, I still feel his are way cooler! Nevermind...and yes, it is another ball of sock yarn in my craft cupboard...please don't ask me why! (or when!!)

Pop over to Wendy's super blog for some "up to date" craft in Handmade Monday :-)

9 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Still an accomplishment. I never knit socks personally because I'll get bored with the other side. How about baby socks, the next time? Smaller and hopefully faster :D

Highland Monkey's said...

Great looking socks and at least you finally finished them, just in time for summer haha. I've never knitted socks so am in awe of people who can knit with 4 needles!

Wendy said...

I'm always in awe of people who can knit, let alone knit socks, so well done. They look fabulously cosy. Just don't put them away "somewhere safe" and then forget where they are when the weather is cooler. That would probably be what I would do.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't matter how long it took you - you did it! I have yet to attempt my first pair so I am very much in awe.

Unknown said...

Lovely looking socks, I have had my own sock nightmares this year so I feel your pain!

Lilly's Mom said...

Hooray for you! You finished a beautiful pair of socks. Socks are my favorite thing to knit. Have a great week!

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

Well done - as someone who can knit but not very well I am very impressed. Hope you have a good week.

Lucy Blossom said...

I never knew you could knit socks, they look great. Don't worry about how long it took to complete them - I've got half-finished projects that are nearly 17 years old!

Ali said...

I'm just impressed you've made socks, I wouldn't even go there. I love the yarn you've used. I'm sure every crafter has more than one project lying unfinished somewhere. I know I do.
Ali x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...